A tiny, south coast village about 15 Kilometres from the airport with an 18th century church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The bell tower is particularly impressive. There are no shops or restaurants here but the advantage is being within a five minute drive of the very beautiful Avithos Beach where there are two tavernas and simple beach bar.
Svoronata which is about half a kilometre away has a good selection of tavernas. Kourkoumelata village is also close by. It was destroyed by the earthquakes in 1953 but reconstructed over several years thanks to a donation by Georgios Vergotis, a wealthy ship owner whose family come from the village and who gifted the new village to the inhabitants on the condition that they looked after their gardens.
Behind Kaligata rise the foothills of Mount Aenos. This is a lush agricultural area of olive groves and cypress trees, yet a very short drive to sandy beaches and to the capital Argostoli.