The large Mycenaean (approx. 1390-1060 π.Χ) cemetery at Mazarakata, about 500 m southeast of the village, was discovered when a new road was being constructed during De Bosset’s years as Resident of Kefalonia (1810-1814) during the English occupation. De Bosset, who was of Swiss origin, excavated the site and transferred a number of vases that were found to the Neuchâtel Museum in Switzerland where they still are.
Almost a century later excavations were continued by the Kefalonian archaeologist Panayotis Kavvadias and again by Prof. Marinatos in 1951. A total of 17 chamber tombs were excavated and a great number of Mycenaean vases and small artefacts were brought to light of which some are on display in the Argostoli Archaeological Museum and another collection in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens.
Until today it is the largest Mycenaean cemetery of the island with the most representative chamber tombs in the entire Ionian area. The tombs are underground, carved into the natural rock (limestone), and are formed by the corridor, the entrance and the chamber. The dimensions of the chambers vary. Some are small (1.40 m x1.90 m) with a few burials and others larger (5.50 m x 4.80 m) with more burials.
The cemetery is signposted and is located along the road that connects the outskirts of Argostoli with Keramies and Pessada. It is wheelchair accessible.