The Municipal Theater “Kefalos” is located in the center of Argostoli and is on the same site as the old theater that was inaugurated in 1859 with the opera “Traviata” by Giuseppe Verdi. The building was destroyed during bombing in World War II.
During the 19th century, the theater hosted with great success fine Italian melodramas as well as works by Greek musicians. Today, in the modern spacious theater, theatrical performances, dance and music events are organized as well as conferences. In winter it also functions as a cinema. Exhibitions with works mainly by Kefalonian artists are hosted on the ground floor. The neoclassical architecture of the building is a typical example of the architecture of the island.